Sunday, January 31, 2010

Preventative crafting

As Little Girl becomes more mobile, I have to be sure that things are becoming baby-proofed. As much as I was prepared for that, I never really thought I would have to baby-proof myself! One of Little Girl's favorite toys these days seems to be my hair. She likes to find the flyaway pieces and pull them as hard as she can. Let me tell you, eight month olds are stronger than you think!! I am regularly checking her hands for lose Mommy hairs. While I know that there is no way to keep this from happening, I am trying to keep the opportunities to a minimum. At the bookstore where I work one evening a week I found a book called Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. I love to knit, but I am not one for big projects - I just don't have the patience for anything that involved! This book looked perfect! In there I found a pattern for a kerchief for either the head or the neck. This looked ideal for the mommy trying to keep her hair back! While the pattern is very easy, and the book claims this should be somewhere around a two hour project, this took me quite a bit longer than that... But I really think that is a matter of my knitting speed and the spread out nature of when I actually buckle down and knit... But it is done now!



Me being me, I did alter the pattern a little bit. I knitted it a few rows shy of full size and crocheted a border and ties on the ends. I don't know why I can't just do things the way I am supposed to... The end result is something that is comfortable to wear, and hopefully works to lessen the hair pulling! (Here's hoping...!)

No comments:

Post a Comment