Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Do you dare?

I have always considered myself to be somewhat adventurous in the kitchen. I love to try new recipes, and to play around with old favorites. I remember being in the kitchen with my dad (who normally doesn't cook, so I think that is why the memory sticks out!) and playing with rice, fish sticks and green peas to create a new dinner. Even as a kid, I knew that it was fun to try new things, or, as I call it, to experiment in the kitchen.
As much as I try to stick to a recipe the first time I use it, I have gotten to the point where I generally take the recipe as a suggestion, and try to "adjust" things based on my mood, my pantry, or my audience!! I guess that started when I began reducing dairy amounts in my baking. Being lactose intolerant, I don't have to eliminate dairy, but I try to keep things such that I don't need to worry about taking pills for everything I eat. Then came the vegetarian kitchen, and the substitutions for meat products. Oh yeah, and growing up (and continuing to be) Kosher, and keeping meat and dairy separated. So be it by necessity or by desire, I have always felt that I was up to almost any kitchen challenge.
So when Auntie Twin introduced me to The Daring Kitchen, I knew this was something I was going to need to try!! After a brief mix-up with my joining request, I finally sent my information in the right way, and have officially become both a Daring Chef and a Daring Baker! This is something I am really excited about!
So stay tuned! Once a month you will see how the challenges inspire me in the kitchen, and how I make even more recipes into things I can (try to) call my own!!
(Ok, Little Girl helps, too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment