Saturday, July 14, 2012

Daring to do it: Cooking "En Papillote"

Our July 2012 Daring Cooks’ host was Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie! Sarah challenges us to learn a new cooking technique called “Cooking En Papillote” which is French and translates to “cooking in parchment”.

I kind of like these challenges which are about a process more than a specific recipe.  But I kind of don't too...  The flexibility with the ingredients can be a really intimidating prospect!  This time, though, I was psyched.  Cooking "en papillote" is not new to me.  Cooking in little packets can be a great thing - great flavor, easy to accommodate preferences, and easy clean-up, too!
For this challenge I made two different meals "en papilolte."  The first was tofu and vegetables.
Filling individual "packets" for everyone:
 I even made a special packet for the baby!
 All ready to go in the oven:
 Opened up!  Tender veggies, soft tofu, totally yummy!
 The second "en papllote" dish was tilapia with spinach, onions, lemon and a few grinds of lemon-pepper seasoning.  (Hubby, the vegetarian, was away for the day, so fish was in for dinner.)  Instead of making individual packets, this time I made one big wrapped parcel and cooked it all together.
Ready to fold and bake:
 One big packet of yumminess:
 Look at all of the juices!  I didn't add a drop of oil either - that is all natural.
 Yum:
Thank you, Sarah, for reminding me about this great, easy, healthy, versatile method of cooking.  I had a great time playing with my food, and seeing how the other Daring Cooks played with theirs!
Take a look here to see the delicious suggestions and recipes Sarah gave us for this challenge, and then check out what my fellow Cooks made!

7 comments:

  1. Nice looking packets! This is by far my favorite way to cook fish - and the easy clean up just gilds the lily :-)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking fish! Even the tofu and steamed veggies looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this challenge too but agree with you on the fact that challenges like this one are so much fun yet making a choice of what to make can be intimidating for sure
    I love both versions you made and look forward to trying a vegetarian option

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I like the tofu one, I wouldn't have thought to do tofu like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't agree about the fun part and the fact that I've put everything in a packet this month proves it! :)
    I turned my tofu to faux scallops (fauxllops). :)
    Your looks wonderful. They look like big bouquets before wrapping and they come out looking like crusty loaves. LOve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious choices, and now I want to try tofu. Did it soak up the flavors nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both of these - beautiful healthy, fresh meals - lovely.

    ReplyDelete